This video is from my Great Beds Lighthouse drone flight that took place on March 20, 2021.
Great Beds is named for the abundant oyster beds that lay beneath the shallow waters around the lighthouse. It is located in the Raritan Bay on the New York and New Jersey border and has an intriguing history of lighthouse keepers being murdered and others being lost at sea.
Today, the lighthouse is privately owned. When it was purchased at auction, the new owner arranged for the lighthouse to have a 5ft cross installed at the top.
I met up with the Jersey Droners for this mission early on a Saturday morning. It was a great day to fly the Mavic Mini. There was hardly any wind and the water was as calm as could be. The biggest issue that I had was maintaining my video feed on my controller. The feed kept cutting out around the lighthouse which is about a mile out from South Amboy where we were flying. I did not get all the footage I wanted because of the video issues. But I was happy with what I got. I hope that you too enjoy this Great Beds Lighthouse drone video.
In this video, I explored using a lens flare effect with Final Cut. The most dramatic use of the effect you can see at about the 1:24 mark in the video. What do you think? Share in the comments if you like it.
- See Great Beds Lighthouse on the map: https://goo.gl/maps/Mmjpf7aQiSS4q7JA8
- Read the history: https://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=656
- The story of the cross on top: https://patch.com/new-jersey/morristown/great-beds-lighthouse-has-a-cross-on-top
- Get the Mavic Mini: https://amzn.to/3lkNN8r (affiliate link)
- See all the tools I use to make this video.